Garden committee members plant and maintain the parish gardens and grounds (other than the lawn). This is a great time for families to work together, and Boy Scouts and teens to earn service hours.
We have some garden tools, but it would be safer to bring your own garden tools, gloves, etc. General maintenance is on a weekly or monthly basis (whatever time can be donated).
Open to all interested individuals. Professional gardening knowledge and skills are appreciated but not necessary, weekend gardeners welcome!
More extensive work is done from 9 AM -12 Noon (unless noted otherwise) on selected Saturdays during the year.
Upcoming 2017 Garden Workdays:
- November 18th - 9am-12pm
- December 9th - 9am-12pm
New Plants October 2017
In October 2017 we planted the following:
- A new gardenia next to the church in the grotto (top left above), to replace an older gardenia that was failing.
- Six Kaleidoscope Abelia in the island in the drop-off area (top middle and top right above), to replace the spirea that were failing.
- Added two roses (middle row on left above) on one side and one rose (middle of middle row above) on the other side of the plants in front of the Fellowship Hall.
- Replaced a failing rose in the Fountain Courtyard near the pergola with a new rose (middle row on right above).
- Added another rose to the group near the Care Center entrance in the Fountain Courtyard (bottom rown on left above).
New plants need regular watering during their first year; if you would like to help with this, please contact Christine Brawn, or 919-363-0731 for sign-up information.
St. Andrew parishioner Mary Ellen Bischoff passed away on March 8, 2006. As a gift to generations to come, Mary Ellen directed the creation of the Mary Ellen and Robert A. Bischoff Garden Fund to maintain and enhance the gardens at St. Andrew Parish. Gifts to this fund will be used to maintain all the garden areas around our church. More info on the Giving Opportunities page.
Christine Brawn, 919-363-0731,
Cindy Cotton, Parish Council Liaison,