Respect Life Ministry
“We proclaim that human life is a precious gift from God; that each person who receives this gift has responsibilities toward God, self and others; and that society, through its laws and social institutions, must protect and nurture human life at every stage of its existence.”
U.S. Catholic Bishops, Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities, November 2001
Our Respect Life Ministry actively promotes the respect for all human life from conception to natural death through prayer, education and action.
- SAVE THE DATE!!! Saturday, September 9, from noon - 2 p.m., Pete Burke presents on Advance Directives: What They Are and Why You Need Them. More details to come.
Saturday, September 9, in Room 8 from noon until 2 p.m., join us for a Respect Life Committee-sponsored event presented by St Andrew parishioner Pete Burke on Advance Directives: What They Are and Why You Need Them. Mr. Burke will provide information on these forms that allow you to express your wishes for future health care and to guide decisions about that care. The Diocese of Raleigh has information on its website, at http://dioceseofraleigh.org/sites/default/files/files/ADFinalNovember.pdf, and these documents, once properly signed, can be recorded with the NC Secretary of State’s office so that designees can access your wishes in the event this information is needed.
- SAVE THE DATE !!! Saturday, September 23, from noon - 2 p.m. Tom McCuiston presents on Legal Documents Every Senior Adult Should Know About and Have.
On Saturday, September 23, in Room 8 from noon until 2 p.m., join us for a Respect Life Committee-sponsored event, presented by St. Michael the Archangel parishioner and attorney, Tom McCuiston. Mr. McCuiston will present on the basics of estate planning, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and specific issues Catholics may encounter in the estate planning process. Father Bill will join us for considerations and questions taken about the Catholic faith as it pertains to these documents.
Open to all
4th Wednesday of the month from 7:30-8:30 p.m. in the library, preceded by the Rosary in the Chapel at 7 p.m.
Theresa Pasquale, co-chair, phone: 919-455-7120, or e-mail:
Kathy Davis, co-chair concentrating on issues of end of life and of elderly, phone: 919-417-7793, or e-mail: Mary Gillespie, Parish Council Liaison,
Opportunities for Involvement:
- 40 Days for Life is a National campaign, held in the spring and the fall, that is community-based and draws attention to the consequences of abortion through three components: prayer and fasting, constant vigil, and community outreach. Bishop Burbidge as well as other local and national leaders endorse this campaign.
We also recommend that you sign up to receive the updates about the National campaign results and daily devotionals from the National website. Click on "Send me updates!" on the upper right hand column of the national webpage.
- Praying at an abortion clinic: We continue to pray across the street from "A Woman's Choice" clinic on Saturday mornings from 8-10 am. Come and join us in prayer on any Saturday for as little as 20 minutes, but we especially encourage the last Saturday of the month. This abortion facility is open 6 days a week and performs many abortions each day.
- Run for Life: The Run for Life event was established in 1994 in Raleigh, NC. Runners raise money to help different pro-life organizations. A family fun event, the race starts with a one mile fun run for children of all ages and ends with a 5K run for more serious runners.
- Life Chain: We participate in the annual Life Chain event the first weekend in October. Contact: Mary Ann Metcalf, phone: 910-612-3063.
- March For Life in Washington, DC: We support and attend the annual pro-life rally and march in Washington, D.C.
- Raleigh March for life Rally and Breakfast: We promote and attend this yearly event in January in downtown Raleigh.
- Mother's Day Flower Sale: Supports local pro life organizations and help to fund the ministry.
- Volunteers for the local Crisis Pregnancy Center: Birthchoice offers help and hope to any pregnant woman. Several parishioners volunteer at Birthchoice. Volunteers are needed in a variety of capacities. Training is provided by Birthchoice 781-5423
- Gabriel Project: Gabriel project's mission is to help women in crisis pregnancies choose life for their unborn child. Volunteers minister directly to women during and after pregnancy by providing emotional, spiritual, and material support. Contact: Darcy Holley, phone: 919-267-5774
Community Resources for help with pregnancy
Birthchoice: Birthchoice offers help and hope to any pregnant woman. “We believe it is the right of every pregnant woman to give birth and the right of every child to be born.” Not ready to be pregnant? Birthchoice provides confidential services and a 24 hour helpline, 919-781-5433.
Gabriel Project: Gabriel project's mission is to help women in crisis pregnancies choose life for their unborn child.
Community Resource for help with healing from an abortion
Project Rachel: Project Rachel assists women and men who have been wounded by abortion and seek truth and healing. For more information call 919-852-1021, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. All contacts are strictly confidential.
First Friday Adoration: St.Andrew Chapel
Rosary at 7PM followed by Pro-Life meeting- St. Andrew's on the 4th Wednesday of the month
Scheduled Pro-Life Masses:
- St. Joseph, Raleigh: Saturdays, 8:00 am
- Pro-Life Rosary - Our Lady of Lourdes, Raleigh: Tuesday 6:00 pm and Sunday at 8:30am in Adoration Chapel and 11:00 am in the Church.
- Perpetual Adoration Chapel - Our Lady of Lourdes, Raleigh
Prayer at Abortion Facilities:
- A Woman's Choice, 3305 Drake Circle, Raleigh -Saturdays from 8 am -10 am Contact StAndrewRL@gmail.com if you have any questions
- Preferred Women's Health Center, 1604 Jones Franklin Rd., Raleigh (Contact Saints Cyril & Methodius Byzantine Catholic Church if you would like to join them as they pray at this clinic, e-mail: email@example.com)
- Planned Parenthood, 1765 Dobbins Dr., Chapel Hill
Advocacy & Information
|Raleigh Diocese||USCCB - US Conference of Catholic Bishops||Abortion|
|Euthanansia & Assisted Suicide||Contraception||Capital Punishment|
|Embryonic Stem Cell Research & Cloning||Resources for the Elderly|
A Pro-Life Prayer
God of all goodness, You have entrusted us with the gift of life. Help us to appreciate that gift from the first moments of conception to the last breaths of old age. Send Your strength to all those who defend the unborn, the weak, and the dying against attempts to cut short their lives. May Your Holy Spirit touch the hearts of those who are tempted to choose the way of death rather than life. Grant that Your people may always be a sign of love in the world. Amen.